Gibson Electric Membership Corporation strives to demonstrate cooperative principles by providing today’s youth with educational experiences that will help them to become tomorrow’s leaders. Impacting the lives of young people is extremely important to the cooperative community. The mission of the youth programs sponsored by Gibson EMC is built on the belief that textbooks and lectures alone are not enough to help young people gain leadership qualities.
By educating young people and enhancing their self-worth, Gibson EMC hopes to promote and inspire responsible youth in order to ensure a stronger future for everyone.
Examples of programs sponsored by Gibson EMC:
- Fiber has been connected by Gibson EMC to schools in Lake, Obion, Crockett and Gibson counties. This service has allowed the schools to economically communicate with one another through a high-speed network, and has opened the world to teachers and students via the Internet. Gibson EMC has donated funds to these schools to be used towards classroom needs, including computer equipment.
- Gibson EMC’s newest program is the National Theatre for Children, available free of charge to all elementary schools in the Cooperative’s service area. The onsite theater production uses a super hero theme to teach energy conservation measures in a fun and interactive venue. We also offer high-voltage demonstrations for all ages.
- Gibson EMC sponsors an annual Washington Youth Tour short-story contest for high schools juniors. Six students and one teacher win an expense-paid trip to Washington, DC annually. School winners earn $50 cash and the overall winner earns $100 and the opportunity to compete with other overall winners throughout the state for one of three scholarships ($3,000, $2,000, and $1,000). Students who participate are entered in a drawing for one of five $500 scholarships to be given away at our annual meeting each year.
- Each year, the Cooperative sponsors two high school juniors for Youth Leadership Summit participation in Nashville and as many as eight middle school students per year for participation in 4-H Electric Camp in Knoxville. Area 4-H Clubs also are supported in various means throughout the year.
- The Cooperative participates in annual job shadowing, Careers on Wheels programs for elementary students, career fairs for high school students, job interview coaching and judging events, and public speaking judging events.
- Gibson EMC actively supports both adult and youth leadership programs coordinated by Chambers of Commerce in Dyer, Lake, Obion, Gibson, Crockett and Madison counties.